One neighborhood, Many stories

Ten friends and I are hoping to raise $37,500 by April 30 to support Lava Mae, an organization that provides hot showers and other services for the homeless in San Francisco. A recent census counted 7,500 homeless people in the city. Our goal represents one shower for each of the 7,500 individuals, and we will match every dollar that we raise.

I moved to San Francisco in 2011. At the time, neither my husband, Warren, nor I had jobs lined up. We had just traveled the world and decided we would figure out life in a new city later.  We were (and are) so lucky that we had generous family and friends that let us crash in their homes while we looked for work.  As we've been learning more stories about homelessness over the last month, this luxury of relationships to crash on couches is out of reach for so many.  Having lived in Berkeley, Cambridge, and San Francisco, the sights of homelessness do not surprise me. But I must confess, they also do not move me either. My heart has become quite numb over time.

I currently live in a neighborhood in San Francisco where two worlds exist in the same space.  It's a matter of choosing what world I want to see.   On the one hand, we live in sunny Potrero Hill, where I can shop at Whole Foods down the street.  Lexi, our toddler, attends a school in the neighborhood, where she hangs out in the local playgrounds.  I even work a half-mile away from home.  Everything I do can be contained in a small radius where I can avoid the issue of homelessness if/when I choose.

Lexi at the playground near school

On the other hand, I live and work in District 10, which has the 2nd highest homeless population in San Francisco.  We've recently connected to the founder of Open Door Legal to hear the stories of eviction in our neighborhood, we've heard stories from a psychiatrist who focuses services for this population, and we've learned stories through reading The Homeless Project.



There is a tension emerging in my privileged life and the proximity to the lives without connections for friendships, jobs, or housing.  I do not assume that life starts out with even circumstances, so it's up to me to figure out how to spend my time, network, and resources.  I’m grateful that I've got friends that push me to think beyond my bubble and to go out of my comfort zone to work on a project like The Dignity Challenge, where we are hoping to raise both awareness and funds to provide services to people experiencing homelessness.  While it makes me uncomfortable and slightly nervous to ask those around me to share their wealth with others, it's the kind of growth that I want to pursue.

When we were first brainstorming on a name for this project, I assumed that dignity was a right that everyone already had.  I wondered if it was condescending to believe that people experiencing homelessness did not have dignity.  The more I've learned, it's clear I was coming from a place of privilege and entitlement.  When our neighbors go months without eye contact or conversation, that is not a life filled with respect from others.  When our neighbors who have experienced abuse and hardship do not have access to mental health services, it is difficult to heal and find self-worth.  When our neighbors do not have the option to choose when they take a shower or use the restroom, we cannot expect them to take pride in their circumstance.

Homelessness is a complex issue that cannot be solved overnight, but we can take our one step forward to growing our awareness, advocacy, and practical support.   I'm excited that we are partnering with Lava Mae, who provides services for lives today.  I want to expand my heart to see all my neighbors and I want our family to look for all the stories that may cross our paths.





Lava Mae could use so much more help rekindling dignity on the streets. Would you consider donating to our campaign to raise $37,500 by April 30?

http://bit.ly/dignitychallenge

updated 4/15: changed goal date to April 30

Comments

Popular Posts